From day one ESPA has understood the pressures of modern day living and the effect this has on body and mind. A founding belief, treating the body simply isn’t enough – the mind has to be taken care of too.
The health of skin comes from within, and with Ayurvedic treatments at our core, we talk Ayurveda, what it is and how you can ease some of those everyday stresses to improve your quality of life.
An ancient India healing system, Ayurveda translates into “knowledge of life” and is based on the philosophy good health is governed by a balance of body, mind and spirit.
With us all uniquely made-up of predetermined personality types or ‘doshas’ from conception, as we travel through life three doshas alter according to their environment, diet, season, climate and age.
Moving in and out of balance, these doshas can affect health, energy and mood. These doshas are:
Most of us are made up of a combination of two or three doshas, with the ideal an even balance of all three. However, with busy, modern life taking us off kilter, it’s never been more important to address imbalance for both physical and mental health.
To create equilibrium, Ayurvedic treatments and practices are designed to eliminate negative energy. Holding in stress and anxiety from example, can manifest in illness.
To prevent this, full Ayurvedic cleanses release toxins from the body through specific massage techniques, diet, meditation and Yoga.
Not something we’re all able to do. Adding a few rituals to your daily routine can really help readdress the balance:
- Spend a few moments every morning connecting you to you. It’s all too easy to wake-up and run out the door, as there never seems to be enough time. However, make some time for yourself.
- Drink a cup of tea somewhere quiet and comfortable and plan out your day. Take the dog for a walk or spend some time meditating to bring about self-awareness. Either way, make sure to start the day as stress-free as possible.
- Nourish your skin with dry oils. As well as feeding your skin, it’s a way of showing your body kindness and allows you to relax. Restorative Body Oil is great for this, as it acts to calm nerves bringing balance to body and mind.
- Be mindful of what you eat. Knowing your dosha will help you avoid foods and drink that take you off balance. A healthy digestion can help alleviate skin conditions, so keep a food diary to eliminate triggers.
- Practice breath work. We’re all guilty of it, but find some time to really breathe. Breathing in deeply through the nose and out the mouth for 30 seconds somewhere quiet allows you to relax, focus and build your ability for self-reflection.
- Practice a few Yoga poses first thing in the morning and last thing at night to calm your breathing, heart and find your peace.
- Go for an Ayurverdic treatment. Establishing what your dosha is, ESPA therapists tailor treatments such as the Ayurverdic Wrap, Purva Karma Four Handed Massage or Ama Releasing Abyanga to your individual personal needs to ensure your leave balanced and revitalised.