Air travel can be extremely testing. While the dry, recycled air, cabin pressure and changeable hot and cold air-conditioning mean skin gets very little oxygen, jet lag also disrupts your circadian rhythm, having knock-on effects for your complexion and wellbeing.
Our International Trainers travel far and wide to train 5,000 new ESPA therapists every year. Here we share their recommendations on how not to let travel take its toll and instead maintain beautiful balance for skin, body and mind while on the road.
The Expert Explorers’ Edit
- Prevention is better than cure. Give your skin the best pre-flight start by making sure it’s well cleansed, toned, treated and moisturized. Applying a serum or oil under your moisturizer – such as Instant Facial, Optimal Skin ProSerum or Replenishing Face Treatment Oil – will also help strengthen the skin’s natural moisture barrier, reducing the likelihood of trans-epidermal moisture loss during the flight and avoiding skin feeling dry, dehydrated or sensitive.
- Staying well-hydrated will reap rewards all-round. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and too many sugary drinks, opting for plenty of water instead.
- Have a little bottle of essential oils to hand for some on-board relaxation. We don’t refer to our Restorative Body Oil as a ‘hug in a bottle’ for nothing – its blend of Palmarosa, Rose Geranium, Sweet Orange and Lavender Essential Oils soothes and comforts, helping rebalance mind and body and restore inner calm.
- Opt for a richer moisturizer before and during your flight. Regenerating Moisture Complex is ideal – with its antioxidant-rich, deeply nourishing formula you can rest assured your skin will remain soft, smooth and revitalized.
- Eyes are the first place to show the effects of dry air and disturbed sleep. Keep this delicate area bright and hydrated, while smoothing lines and reducing puffiness with Lift and Firm Intensive Eye Serum.
- If you have time, an in-flight mask will give you that intense hit of hydration your skin craves. Overnight Hydration Therapy sinks into skin in mere moments, so you don’t have to worry about looking like you have a face mask on! What’s more, the Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang and Lavandin Essential Oils help calm a busy mind, helping you rest a little better on board.
- Lips can get so dry on board. Keep them soft, smooth and deeply hydrated with our non-sticky Nourishing Lip Treatment.
- Recycled air and increased use of hand sanitizer can be very drying on hands. Keep them nourished and protected without feeling greasy with Rejuvenating Hand Cream.